Monday, October 24, 2011

October fun

Last Tuesday, the kids and I got to go to a pumpkin patch with moms and tots at church. They scheduled a trip to a Purdue lab that grows pumpkins and we are allowed to take some home for free! How awesome is that?!?! It was rather muddy, but still fun! Dylan was sad that he missed out, but he got to go on a field trip to a pumpkin patch earlier this month with his class at school. Life isn't always fair! We are hopefully going to paint some this week, and carve another one before Halloween. Dylan carved the one from his field trip, but it fell over outside and the face got smashed. Bummer!Last week, Ricky had to work late so the kids and I made a band. Dylan made a guitar, Lauren made maracas, and Ethan made a tambourine. It was so much fun and the kids rocked out on the couch for an hour! It is amazing what paper towel rolls and old beans can do for you!
Ricky and I got to go to the temple this weekend. It's really exciting to talk to the kids about it and they understand where we are going. Thanks to a great family from church, we have worked out a babysitting swap for all day on a Saturday. It is working out great and the kids really enjoy spending time with some friends, while we get to attend the temple.

Lauren is such a little singer. She is actually pretty good, too! I love how Lauren sings "I love to see the temple" all the time! It is so precious. She decided that she doesn't need naps anymore, although some days she really needs one. The other day she went upstairs to get her pink blankie (she won't sleep without it unless she is exhausted!) and laid down on the couch and fell asleep. I guess she was really tired that day! So precious! She has such the little personality. While waiting in the car, she convinced Ricky that she had to go potty. She went in just to tell me that there wasn't any potty. She has already started the manipulations.
I have been trying out new recipes lately. Some have been really good, others just ok. It is really fun to experiment in the kitchen. I love to bake, but not so much on making dinner. I have been trying to get into it a little more now with a family of five. I am also trying to be creative and use some of the ingredients I have in my pantry. I think it is going pretty well. I really enjoyed the cake batter truffles best. I just really like cake batter! Yum!

Another day, the kids and I made a car track out of masking tape. (Did I tell you I have joined Pinterest and have found some rather useful things on there! It can be addicting, but I think it's worth it in finding fun things to do!) The kids played so nicely for over an hour until Ethan woke up and started messing up the track. What can you do with an 18 month old?Dylan is really enjoying school. He is learning so much and picking things up so fast! He is already reading and has improved his writing skills in just the past 2 months! I am so proud of him! He came up to me the other day and said, "I feel left out." I was a little confused since I was sitting on the couch watching the kids play. He explained that it was because Lauren was doing dance class and he said that he wants to do karate. I don't know where that came from, but I guess next semester Dylan will be doing karate while Lauren goes to her dance class. I had no idea that he was interested in karate, but ok! I love my Dylan!

Ethan is just getting into everything! He wants to do everything that the big kids do. He climbs much more than my other kids ever did. He is starting to talk more and I can actually understand some words! He started the mommy-clingy stage, by not wanting me to leave him anywhere. If he sees me leave, he throws a fit (or his pacifier) and after a minute or so he is fine. It is so weird for him to act like this since he has always been so easygoing. I hope it's just a phase for him!

1 comment:

Leah said...

If you have some good recipes pass them along! I am always on the lookout for something new!