Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Applesauce and sick kids

Over the weekend, I went to my mom's house for a couple of reasons. Ricky wanted to have a LAN party at our house and I wanted to make applesauce with my mom. It was so much fun visiting with my mom and learning how to make and can applesauce. I have memories of making applesauce with my mom as a child. Dylan was looking forward to it all week! He kept asking me when we were going to grandma's house to make applesauce. He had a blast and was such a great helper! First, he washed and scrubbed the apples. Then, we cored them and cut them into pieces.Next, we cooked the apples and played while they were getting ready. After they were cooked, we put them through the masher aka. applesauce machine. Dylan helped by turning the handle
and by mashing them.Lauren even took her turn helping out! They thought the machine was really cool as it "pooped" out the skins. It got a thumbs up by all the kids! Yeah! Ethan even liked it! Overall, we made 20 quarts and 9 pints. It took all day, but it was well worth it! Thanks for your help mom! I love having food storage!This morning, I woke up to get ready for MOPS and Lauren had crusty eyes. I called the doctor to find out if it could be allergies, and they said that they needed to see her. I also asked about Dylan who has been waking up coughing at night, so I took both of them in. Lauren has pink eye and Dylan has a sinus infection. Guess we wont be doing anything today!

3 comments:

Amy Rose said...

Making applesauce = fun

Sick kids = not fun!

Leah said...

Hey, she said what I was going to say!

Michelle said...

Way to go! I'm sad we didn't get any made this year. BTW, did you know you don't have to core the apples before putting them through? The seeds, etc, will go out with the peels.

And I'll third the sick kids comment! :)