Wednesday, January 9, 2013

4 Christmases!

What a great week of celebrations we have had!
 
Friday, the 21st, was Dylan's last day of school. They had a little Christmas party and since I have wonderful friends, I was able to go help out! It was so fun to see the kids playing the games and having fun. It was also nice to see Dylan at school.
 
Then on Saturday, the kids and I headed to Illinois with my mom to spend the day with my grandma. It was so nice and relaxing. We played war, pinochle, and cribbage, ate some yummy lunch and just hung out with grandma.  I had a thousand things I could have been doing in preparation for Christmas, but it was the perfect day for me! Family time is what Christmas is all about! I was telling Dylan about all the things we had planned for Christmas (We had four different celebrations!) and he told me that this was going to be the best Christmas ever! I was just thinking and then he continued, "Christmas isn't about all the toys and presents. Christmas is about spending time with family, and that's what we get to do!" My heart melted. I guess I am doing a great job at instilling the meaning of Christmas in my children!

My mom had Dylan spend the night, since we were headed to Indy on Sunday for dinner at Kris and Joanna's place. Ricky had to work on Sunday, too, bummer. Someday he may have a job that isn't in retail so he can have a few days off for Christmas, someday! It was nice to see Ricky's family and let the little boys (Keegan and Ethan) exchange gifts, since Keegan was going to be with his mom on Christmas.
 
Christmas Eve we had our Christmas celebration with my family. It was our year to host, thankfully, because Ricky had to work again. We just got everything ready and then had dinner and presents when he got home. It was so nice to spend the day with my mom and dad, sister and her family, and brother and his family.  The kids had a blast playing with their cousins all day, too.
 The cousins with their new jackets on.
I made my first ever ham for dinner. It turned out really good, and I'm pretty sure I can do it again! We got sleeping bags, a gazebo, lantern and other camping gear, as this was our 'camping Christmas.' We asked our families to get us camping gear for Christmas this year so we can plan some fun camping trips this year! After my brother and sister left, we read the Christmas story from the bible and sang Christmas songs with my parents. I love remembering Christ during the holidays!
 
 The kids got to open the last present for the 12 days of Christmas, which was a recordable book, The Night Before Christmas. Ricky and I read the book, so the kids will always have a recording of us reading to them. Then they got to open their Christmas pjs, a tradition that I love!
Christmas morning we always spend at our house. I love seeing the kids get so excited to see what Santa brought them! They were a little tired this year, so they didn't even get up until 8:30!
Dylan got a Lego set.
Lauren got a LalaLoopsy remote control car.
Ethan got a shake and go Race track.
We have another tradition, that my parents started a long time ago, of having the missionaries from our church over for breakfast. We had Sister Carter and Sister Fullmer this year. It was great to share our celebrations with them. We had egg casserole and monkey bread, yum!
My beautiful kids! I love this picture of them!

Around 2pm, we headed to Ricky's parents house for dinner and another Christmas. It was great to spend the evening with them. Ricky's parents got us a tent so we can now go camping! Yeah! After dinner and presents, we played some games and just hung out. Fun family times!
The day after Christmas, it snowed a lot! Ricky was supposed to work, but his boss told him to take the day off! Yeah for snow days! It was so nice to just spend the day at home in our pjs and play with all of our fun new stuff. Ricky decided he should probably shovel the driveway since he would have to work the next day, so the kids got all suited up and headed outside with him. They had a blast!
Lauren made a snow angel!
Thursday and Friday the kids and I just hung out while Ricky had to work. Very different having just my kids all day. I found out that Dylan has a lot of energy and loves to chase the other 2 around the house. Fun times! Boys will be boys! Saturday, we headed to my Aunt Marsha's house for another Christmas. It was so fun to have all of the kids together!
On Sunday, we headed back to Ricky's parents house because Spencer was here for the weekend visiting. We hadn't seen him in almost 2 years! It was really fun to have all 4 brothers together for the evening. They had a great time catching up! The kids also enjoyed the great company!
Lauren and cousin, Keegan.
Ricky and his father eating Christmas pudding (from England!).
 The kids showing off their moves!

I just have to say that I am tremendously blessed to be able to spend so much time with my family! I loved every minute!

1 comment:

Leah said...

So now you can come camping in WI...we have some great places:)